Many types of doctor’s appointments can be managed remotely by phone. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we recommend a remote appointment as the first option, if it suits the customer’s situation. During the pandemic, over 70-year-olds are advised to avoid all unnecessary close contacts, which means that their assessments for non-urgent treatment are primarily handled as remote appointments.
Our doctors will assess your case and, if it cannot be managed remotely, they will refer you to an appointment in person at a local clinic.
The price of a remote appointment
The remote appointment service includes a fee. The price of an appointment by phone varies between doctors. The price is based on the duration of the appointment and it is similar to the price of a personal appointment. An outpatient and Kanta fee are added to the price of a phone appointment in the same way they are applied to personal appointments. Kela compensations are applied to phone appointments. A fee will be charged for uncancelled remote appointments.
Read more: Prices of doctor’s appointment
How to book a remote appointment
You can search for phone appointments in the online booking service. The majority of available appointments can be arranged either remotely or in person. Some of the appointments are only available as phone appointments. Such appointments are indicated by the text “Phone appointment”. Remote appointments can also be booked by contacting our customer service.
What happens in a remote appointment
A remote appointment takes place on the phone or via video in suitable cases. The doctor will phone you at the time agreed for the appointment on the number you have provided. Remember to have the phone on and be ready to answer. You cannot call our doctors back. Our recommendation is for the doctor to call again soon if the first phone call is not answered. If you do not answer your phone at the time agreed for the appointment, you will be charged for an uncancelled appointment.
Sending images in an encrypted email message
During a phone appointment with a general practitioner, dermatologist and ophthalmologist, it may be necessary for the doctor to see a clear picture of a visible complaint (e.g. a rash). Please take 1–3 good quality pictures before the appointment. You can send the pictures to the doctor by encrypted email.
Send an encrypted email message as follows:
- Log in to https://secure.mehilainen.fi
- Enter your email address in the Sender field and click or tap Continue.
- On the next page, click or tap Register.
- You will receive an email message titled Registration. Send the encrypted email message via the link at the end of the message.
- In the subject field, write the date and time of the appointment.
- Attach the pictures you took for the appointment as file attachments: Click or tap Select files, take the pictures or select them among previously taken pictures and click or tap Attach.
- If you have the doctor’s @mehiläinen.fi email address, you can write it in the recipient field and click or tap Send.
- If you do not have the doctor’s email address, wait for the appointment and the doctor’s call. The doctor will give you the correct email address to write in the recipient field and then click or tap Send.
See the instructions by specialty
General practitioner’s remote appointment by phone
Gynecologist’s remote appointment by phone
Dermatologist’s remote appointment by phone
A remote appointment by phone for a diabetic and internal medicine and gastroenterology patients
A cardiologist’s remote appointment by phone
A paediatrician’s remote appointment by phone
An orthopedist’s remote appointment by phone
An ophthalmologist’s remote appointment by phone
Ear, nose and throat specialist’s remote appointment by phone
Urologist’s remote appointment by phone
Occupational health care remote appointment by phone